Chroma Key

Hello good morning.
Can you explain to me how the Chroma Key node works.
Mask range and feather attributes.
I have also found a behavior that I do not understand in the luma Key node.
It is supposed to make the parts with greater or lesser luma transparent, or does it work in another way.
To give a working example:
I have on layer 1, which is below all of them, a background with a landscape.
I have a red background on layer 2 with some moving birds and I want to make the red transparent so that the birds are on the background of layer 1.

All the best

Eduardo Cueto

Hi @Cueto ,

Thanks for posting on our Answerhub. I will try to explain both the Chromakey and Luma Key nodes, by also including an example.

Chromakey

This node blocks a particular color in a Texture.

The Color input pin controls which color will be blocked in the Texture.

Mask range defines the range of colors around the specified key color that will be affected by the chroma key operation. It allows you to expand or narrow down the range of colors considered as part of the key color, helping to include or exclude certain shades in the transparency calculation.

Feather lets you soften the transition between the transparent and opaque areas in the image. A higher feather value will result in a smoother, more gradual transition, reducing the harsh edges between the keyed-out (transparent) and non-keyed (opaque) regions.

Luma Key

This node masks pixels if their Luminance is above the chosen value.

Luminance is a threshold that can go from 0 to 255.

Spread is how far above and below this threashold the linear gradient extends.

If Softness is:

1. 0, then if a particular pixel in the input Texture is brighter than the Luminance, that pixel will be black (totally transparent) otherwise it will be white (totally opaque),
  2. higher than 0, then this threshold is not sharp and the resulting mask is not just black and white, but there is grey gradient.

I hope this helps.

Best,
Sara

Thank you very much for your help.

A hug

E.Cueto

1 Like

Hello good morning.
My next question is:
texture chormakey can be used with an NDI device.

Best,

E.Cueto

Hey @Cueto ,

For this, you can use the Set Texture node.

Or were you referring to combining the separate Sky texture and the Birds texture in a single NDI device, just like we combined them in the Canvas with the Canvas Blending modes?

Best,
Sara

I’m sorry I didn’t explain myself.
I was referring to an NDI device receiver.
Sometimes the NDI input does not come with an alpha channel (it usually comes with a black background in that case) so I usually apply a chromaKey to it, making the black transparent.
But I haven’t been able to do it with LightAct.
NDI receiver → Texture Chormakey → render to canvas.
Is there any way to get it?

E.Cueto

Hi @Cueto,

I see.

In that case, you can use the Get Texture node and connect it to the Chromakey node, like so:

Does that answer your question?

Best,
Sara

OK, thanks a lot.
It was happening to me with the white colors that I couldn’t get the black to be transparent and the white to be in the foreground.
I can’t get the Key for white letters on a black background.

All the best

Eduardo Cueto

Hi @Cueto ,

That’s a little bit trickier to achieve but still absolutely possible.

If you were to choose the Magenta color in the Texture Chromakey, then the Black would have been obtained and the White would have been transparent.

Best,
Sara

thanks for your help.
I’m going to try it.
Is it planned that the Texture chromakey node will be able to work with black and white directly in the future?

A hug

E.cueto

Hey @Cueto ,

Of course, I hope you found it useful.

At this moment this is not planned. If you really need it, please let us know.

Best,
Sara