Feed Mapping, subsection Z order, new user

Hello I´m a new user in LightAct an i have a couple of questions.

I´m a disguise operator and maybe I´m trying to translate LightAct to Disguise, sorry about that but for me I´s better for understand.

One question is if is possible to reorder the elements in the objects tree y try dragging the objects up and down but nothing happens and I try changing te index too whit the same result.

Other its the way to make a “feed mapping” like in disguise I make a canvas and create portions and send to each screen that works but i have some problems, some of the portions are impossible to move whit the mouse in the origin and i need to insert the pixels by hand but I cant use
functions and the workflow its slower, other problem its when I send that screens to the output some off this sections not are the same as in the screen and sometimes no, but maybe its a bug because wen I close the program and start again that changes, anay way please tellme if this is the way to do a feed mapping like in disguise.

And the last question for now, There is a way to set the z order in the subsections when I map two diferent images in the same screen always appear in the creation order what ever the layer is or the canvas source, i not suse if I can explain, i set a picture to better understand

Thanks and best regards.

Hi @RCPVideo ,

1. You actually cannot rearrange the Canvases in the Canvas Setup window, however, we’ll document this as a potential idea for the future, thank you!
    What you might find useful is disabling the ‘Pan together’ checkbox under the UI collapsible on the right-hand side of the Canvas Setup or Video Output windows, which allows you to pan columns of these Windows separately.
    Can you maybe explain a little bit more, in which cases do you find it difficult to move the sub-areas with the mouse? Essentially, if you click exactly on the moving handle of any sub-area, it should move without any difficulties, even if its small. Or has this not been your experience?

2. Using basic calculations is possible for most Properties, however, when it comes to the Properties of the sub-areas, this is something that’s coming soon.

3. Regarding mapping Video Screens to the Output, can you tell us a bit more about the issue you have been having? If I understand correctly, you place a texture on the Video Screen, which does not appear in the sub-area which you have mapped to some Output, is this right?

4. Yes, you can do this type of mapping in the Canvas Setup window, or you can do this type of mapping directly in the Video Output window, where you can place the sub-areas on the exact spot in which you want them to appear on the Output. Also, since you are very familiar with disguise, you might find our LightAct for diguise Operators page useful, tailored to our users who are familiar with the disguise media server and would like to learn how to apply their knowledge in LightAct.

5. You are right, the arrangement of the sub-areas is based on the order of creation. As of right now, you cannot change the order, but it’s a great idea which we will definitely document, thanks! For now, as a workaround, you can simply delete a mapped sub-area that’s placed in the back and press Ctrl + Z to undo the action. After doing so, the sub-area should be placed on the top.

I hope I covered everything. If there is any question I did not refer to or answer clearly, please let me know and I will be happy to elaborate.

Best,
Sara

Hi @Sara_Aleksieska

Thanks for your fast response.

The issue seems to be temporary; after closing the software and reopening it, I can now move all the sub-areas. Regarding the subareas, I have plenty of ideas to enhance the workflow.

For example:

• I can’t change the target screen; I have to delete it and create another one.

• When selecting more than one subarea, I can’t resize them together; I’ve tried with Alt and Control, but it doesn’t work, only can moving them together.

• It would be more convenient if you could resize the subarea not only by picking from the right or down sides but also by having one control point on each side. Additionally, I can’t find a way to resize the subareas while keeping the aspect ratio.

To rearrange not only the canvases but also the objects/screens in the objects tree because look that it´s marks the order on the canvas setup and the output setup.

While exploring the software, I find some features missing.

An “auto-size” function on the video layer, even on the advanced video layer, could be beneficial. maybe something like a selector node where you can choose “adjust to width,” “adjust to height,” and “pixel perfect.” I hope I explained it well; I’m trying to create a template but miss some nodes that I’ve used in Unreal before, and that makes hard.

I’m unable to find a way to mix two layers in different ways (alpha, add, over, screen, max, min, etc.).

When selecting a node, it would be handy if only the functions on the right side would appear or be highlighted. For example, if I have two or more boolean nodes, when touching a node, maybe the right side could focus on that boolean on the right panel, or a small panel with only the boolean options on the node could appear.

I apologize if I’m pushing a litte bit hard, I’m not a software programmer, and perhaps all I’m saying are just some wild ideas, but I’m trying to give the software a chance and I´m finding some disappointing aspects.

Thanks and Best Regards.

Hello @RCPVideo ,

Thank you very much for your suggestions. Most of these are already in the backlog so they will be done fairly soon.

We are always grateful for your comments and suggestion so please keep them coming. Feature requests from our users are very important to us.

Thank you,
Mitja

Hi @RCPVideo ,

After carefully reviewing your response once again, we had a few quick questions:

1. If you click on the Unmap menu entry of a Video Output window, you should be able to map the Video Output to another monitor, without having to delete it. Is this what you were referring to?
  2. You mentioned the order of the Objects in the Object Window should match the order of the Objects in the Canvas Setup window. Do you mean in terms of rendering the mappings or that the Visualizer Containers for the Objects should be placed one below the other exactly as they are in the Objects Window? Or perhaps both?
  3. Regarding mixing layers in different ways, if you are outputting the Content of these two overlapping layers onto the same Canvas, there is an option to choose an Additive Blending mode in the Canvas Properties.

Also, I’m not quite sure if you have familiarized yourself with it, but LightAct offers a Texture Blend node, capable of blending two incoming textures in different ways. This node, however, is typically used to blend two textures within the same layer instead of textures coming from two separate layers.

Once again, thank you very much for all of your input and insights!

Best,
Sara

Hey @RCPVideo ,

One thing I failed to mention in my last response is resizing multiple subareas together.

This is actually possible if you multi-select all resizing handles you want to control at the same time (Ctrl + click on the handle to include it in the selection).

For example:

Resize

I hope this helps.

Cheers,
Sara

Thanks Sara

I will check it out and let you know if I have more questions.

Best Regards