Midi Time Code feature request

Hello again and happy new year.

Could I add Midi Time Code to the feature request please? I would like to drive LightAct from a midi timecode source (as opposed to ArtNet timecode). I am then assuming if I can drive the master LightAct server with Midi Timecode, then other servers would automatically be synced by the LightAct syc protocol?

A great device is the Mif4 https://rosendahl-studiotechnik.com/mif4.html for reading in Audio Timecode (LTC) and driving either a lighting console or a media server (like Avolites AI cough Ai - Timecode - YouTube)

FYI, Midi Time code can be generated from a number of sources and we use an all software setup including Reaper for programming a time coded show on the MA Console - below is a video of how to setup a simple rig for programming using Midi Time code. I’m assuming the same Reaper and Midi Loop back rig would work with LightAct…

Thank you as always and now I’m off to look at the exciting Notch integration

1 Like

Hello Jason,

Thank you very much for your suggestion. We are coming to a conclusion that we should devote a month or so to integrating several new 3rd party devices. Your midi time code sender being among them.

Would you indulge my laziness and tell me how this midi time code sender is connected to a LightAct machine? Via a USB, standard network or something else?

Many thanks, as always.
Mitja

Hi Mitja

the Mif4 device connects to the computer via USB. Windows installs the necessary device drivers at it appears as a Windows MIDI device. As far as I know, Windows maintains the list of MIDI devices on the machine, same as other devices (like sound cards, displays, mouse etc).

What this device does is take Audio Time code (LTC) and convert into MIDI TC (it does other stuff, but this is the feature of interest). If you want read about LTC Linear timecode - Wikipedia As best as I understand from some basic research MIDI TC is a protocol supported by MIDI Messages which is also a time code signal. I assume this would be similar to the Artnet Time code protocol you have already implemented in LightAct

Also, this utility loopMIDI | Tobias Erichsen creates a virtual MIDI device which can be used to send MIDI TC from a generator (like Reaper) to an application looking for MIDI TC like Grand MA on PC or (hopefully) in this case LightAct. So, I don’t think you need to have the Mif4 device to make MIDI TC work - you can use the Reaper + LoopMidi rig to test. But I’m always happy to help test if you needed

thank you as always

1 Like

Thanks, Jason. We’ll have a look at it when we can.

Hello Jason,

We’ve implemented MIDI timecode sync. You can find it in this unofficial release.

Please note, this feature hasn’t gone through our standard testing procedures yet, so if you encounter any issues, please let me know. There is also a whole bunch of (very beta) projector autoblend functionalities :slight_smile:.

The procedure to sync to a MIDI TC is as follows:

1. in Devices you create a MIDI reader node and make sure that in its Data section you see the incoming TC.
  2. in Sync tab you select that Midi reader node. This should be it.

p.s. in the end, we used MIDI-OX software combined with loopMIDI.

Thanks for the feature request and all of the tips and links :slight_smile:

Best regards,
Mitja

Great news thank you! Confirm that the mif4 works perfectly with this setup. The transport is following the timecode signal perfectly.

One small issue is that if I stop or pause the timecode the transport continues to play

Thank you again!

Jason

Hi Jason,

Good to hear!

We’ll add the option that will force LightAct to pause when the incoming time code stops.

Best,
Mitja

Thank you that would be great. My suggestion is to have a “time out” stop parameter - that way we can configure a system to distinguish the difference between a stopped timecode clock and an drop out or millisecond interruption in the signal
thank you as always

As requested…

…in the just published LightAct 3.3.2
:slightly_smiling_face:

Let me know if you are facing any problems.
M

1 Like