Notch Workflow

Hello

In terms of performace how it´s better? Make a Notch block whit all the layers or meke a lot ot blocks with one layer? I´m ussually works on disguise and it´s beeter the first option but in lightact i don´t know, i see an option for “Unload on layer exit” but i don´t know how its better for the performance.

Best Regards

Hi @RCPVideo ,

It shouldn’t really matter whether you play multiple Notch blocks in the same layer or have one Layer per Notch block, especially if you intend to play all the Notch blocks at the same time.

The ‘unload on layer exit’ checkbox comes in handy if once your playhead leaves the specific Notch layer, it never returns to it again. In this case scenario, you should benefit from some performance enhancements.

Best,
Sara

Thanks Sara

I,m ussually don´t play more than one notch block or layer at the same time but, you know if I have one block with different layers and if i need to use it on different tracks using a different layer of the same block, my question is if it´s a good practice check the box to “unload on layer exit” or it´s better to leave loaded ?

PD: when i say layer I´m reffer to a notch layer inside the block, not a light act layer

Best Regards

Hi @RCPVideo ,

Apologies for the misunderstanding, I was under the impression you were referring to LightAct’s ‘Notch layer’ templates. I understand now.

For LightAct it is actually best if you export each Notch layer as a separate Notch block. This would mean that instead of having a single Notch block that contains several Notch layers, you would have several Notch blocks, that only contain one layer.

The reason for this is that you cannot render the same Notch block on different LightAct Layers, or rather to achieve such an outcome you would have to use alternative workflows that we typically do not recommend.

To finally answer your question regarding the ‘Unload on layer exit’, it is usually best to enable it only if you are noticing some performance issues, especially ones caused by the VRAM.

I hope I answered your question.

Best,
Sara

Thanks Sara, don´t worry, in disguise is different they recomend to use only one block whit all the layers inside i think is because there is a preload when you open the sofware and whit a lot of blocks that could take a lot of time, but if it´s works different in Light-Act i work in that way.

Best Regards

Hey @RCPVideo ,

As of right now, the workflow I previously described is the typical workflow in LightAct.

This might change in the future as we have some huge Notch block upgrades planned, likely in the next couple of releases.

If the recommended workflow changes, this will probably be stated in the Changelog.

Best,
Sara