UE4 Spout Sender Failed after project packaging

Hi Lightact,

I am trying to send RenderTarget output from UE4 to Lightact, and it worked successfully by following your tutorial.

However, after i packaged the UE4 project, and execute the .exe, the spout sender didn’t worked. The “Spout Sender” in UE4 returned false.

Do you have any ideas or i might have missing some important steps?

I am using UE 4.22, the plugins (lightact & spout) i am using are those included in the sample project (LightactAndUnreal) i downloaded from your website few days ago.

Thanks,
QJ

Hello QJ,

Welcome to Lightact Answerhub!

Hmm, that’s weird. Trying to reproduce your issue, I’ve just created a blank 4.22 cpp project and it works on my end.

But let me walk you through what I did:

In the level blueprint I’ve created the following nodes:

I’ve packaged the project (without using .pak files as explained on Lightact support website ), moved Spout.dll to where it is supposed to be (also explained on Lightact support) and spout seems to be working in 4.22 as well.

At the moment, there is unfortunately not much else I can say except to make sure that:

1. you close your Spout sender on Event EndPlay node,
  2. make sure your LA Sender variable has the correct value even in Packaged game

To further troubleshoot, please install Spout 2.006 as described in the Troubleshooting section of Spout support page. Once installed you’ll be able to run SpoutReceiver.exe demo program which might help you troubleshoot your problem.

What I would be interested in is:

• Does SpoutReceiver.exe detect any Spout sender at all?
  • Do you get any error messages or is SpoutReceiver.exe window just black?

Looking forward to your reply!
Mitja

Hi Mitja,

*I’ve packaged the project (without using .pak files as explained on Lightact support website ), moved Spout.dll to where it is supposed to be (also explained on Lightact support) and spout seems to be working in 4.22 as well. *

I did not followed the steps above, as i think i might missed those steps from the support website. I tried to did not using .pak files when packaging, and still seeing the same issue. Can you please link me to the related support information? as i am unable found those info. Thanks.

• Does SpoutReceiver.exe detect any Spout sender at all?
    It is detected when the project is launched from UE4 editor. It did not detected after the project have been packaged.

• Do you get any error messages or is SpoutReceiver.exe window just black?

SpoutReceiver.exe window just pure black, and it is because “Spout Sender” node (in UE4) returned FALSE (in packaged exe).

Thanks.

QJ

Hello QJ,

Thank you for your reply.

You can find more information about Spout on our support pages here and here for example.

Let’s try to approach this from another way. Please find below a packaged UE4 project.

https://drive.google.com/file/d/1I-awNTc141go6STNYbP1_6xZceJWBO85/view?usp=sharing

It’s basically a blank C++ UE 4.22 project which has been set up to send spout as shown here:

Let’s confirm this is working on your end. If it is, then my best guess would be that there is something wrong with your packaging settings.

If it isn’t then I would suggest you try it on a different computer.

Good luck and let me know how it goes,
Mitja

Hi Mitja,

Thanks for your response. I finally get it worked by referencing your sample project.
It is due to i created my project under blueprint category, but not C++.

I didn’t realized the differences since the blueprint version worked before packaged.

Thanks,

QJ

Hi QJ,

That is good news, but actually, we successfully packaged Blueprint projects before, so both categories should work: C++ and Blueprint.

Anyway, I’m glad you got it working.

Best,
Mitja